1-13-706. Delivering and receiving ballots at polls
(1) No voter shall receive an official ballot from any person except one of the judges of election having charge of the ballots, nor shall any person other than such judge deliver an official ballot to such voter.
(2) No person except a judge of election shall receive from any voter a ballot prepared for voting.
(3) Any voter who does not vote the ballot received by him or her shall return his or her ballot to the judge from whom he or she received the same before leaving the polling location; except that nothing in this section prohibits an elector from obtaining an original or replacement ballot pursuant to section 1-5-102.9 (3) (j).
(4) Each violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, the offender shall be punished as provided in section 1-13-111.
Source: L. 80: Entire article R&RE, p. 433, § 1, effective January 1, 1981.L. 2013: (3) amended, (HB 13-1303), ch. 185, p. 747, § 118, effective May 10.
Editor’s note: This section is similar to former § § 1-13-139 and 1-30-114 (2) as they existed prior to 1980.
Cross references: In 2013, subsection (3) was amended by the “Voter Access and Modernized Elections Act”. For the short title and the legislative declaration, see sections 1 and 2 of chapter 185, Session Laws of Colorado 2013.
- Election Day
- Election Offenses & Judicial Proceedings
- Offenses & Penalties
- Regulation & Duties of Election Officials
- Regulation of Polling Places
1. Definition for Ballot
(a) A federal write-in absentee ballot;
(b) A ballot specifically prepared or distributed for use by a covered voter in accordance with this article; or
(c) A ballot cast by a covered voter in accordance with this article.
(2) “Covered voter” means:
(a) A uniformed-service voter defined in paragraph (a) of subsection (9) of this section who is a resident of this state but who is absent from this state by reason of active duty and who otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(b) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, was last eligible to vote in this state and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(c) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, would have been last eligible to vote in this state had the voter then been of voting age and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements; or
(d) An overseas voter who was born outside the United States, is not described in paragraph (b) or (c) of this subsection (2), and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements if the last place where a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or civil union partner of the voter was, or under this article would have been, eligible to vote before leaving the United States is within this state.
C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
2. Definition for Person
Any natural person, partnership, committee, association, corporation, labor organization, political party, or other organization or group of persons. Section 2(11) of article XXVIII of the state constitution.
3. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.