Overview of Statute
Voter registration drive organizers who do not file a statement of intent with the secretary of state, do not maintain a designated agent in the state, fail to provide proper training according to guidelines promulgated by the secretary of state, or use an improper registration form must pay a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars. Likewise, organizers who intentionally fail to send completed registration applications in the appropriate manner and within the required time limits will be fined in an amount not to exceed five thousand dollars.
(1) A voter registration drive organizer that conducts a voter registration drive without filing the statement of intent with the secretary of state in accordance with section 1-2-701 or without maintaining a designated agent in the state or that uses a voter registration application form other than the form approved by the secretary of state by rule shall be punished by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars.
(2) A voter registration drive organizer that fails to fulfill the training requirements established by the secretary of state in accordance with section 1-2-701 (2) shall be punished by a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars.
(3) (a) and (b) Repealed.
(c) A voter registration drive organizer that intentionally fails to deliver a voter registration application to the proper county clerk and recorder in the manner and time prescribed by section 1-2-702 (2) shall be punished by a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars.
(4) A voter registration drive organizer that compensates a circulator working on a voter registration drive based on the number of voter registration applications the circulator distributes or collects shall be punished by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars.
L. 2005: Entire part added, p. 1397, § 11, effective June 6; entire part added, p. 1432, § 11, effective June 6.L. 2006: (3) amended, p. 2031, § 8, effective June 6.L. 2007: Entire section amended, p. 1970, § 8, effective August 3.L. 2012: (3)(a) and (3)(b) repealed, (HB 12-1292), ch. 181, p. 678, § 8, effective May 17.
- Election Offenses & Judicial Proceedings
- Methods of Registration
- Offenses & Penalties
- Voter Registration
1. Definition for Circulator
A person who presents to other persons for possible signature a petition for recall as described in this article. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
3. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.