1-5-703. Accessibility of polling locations to persons with disabilities
(1) Each polling location shall comply fully with the current “ADA standards for accessible design” set forth in 28 CFR 36 and promulgated in accordance with the federal “Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990”, as amended, 42 U.S.C. sec. 12101 et seq., and no barrier shall impede the path of electors with disabilities to the voting booth.
(2) Emergency polling locations are exempt from compliance with this section.
(3) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2) of this section, a designated election official shall only select as polling locations such sites that meet the standards of accessibility set forth in subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Before selecting polling locations, the designated election official shall submit to the secretary of state an accessibility survey in the form prescribed by the secretary of state identifying the criteria for selecting accessible polling locations and applying the criteria to proposed polling locations.
Source: L. 2004: Entire part added, p. 1354, § 15, effective May 28.L. 2013: Entire section amended, (HB 13-1303), ch. 185, p. 714, § 51, effective May 10.
1. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
3. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
4. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.