1-7-1004. Secretary of state – rules – guidance to local governments
Overview of Statute
The rules created by the secretary of state for counting votes and reporting results in elections involving ranked voting methods must conform with regulations related to this type of voting and the “State Administrative Procedure Act”. The secretary of state must also provide guidance and advice to any government body, or offical therein, using this voting method.
 C.R.S. § 1-7-1003 provides the guidelines for elections using ranked voting methods.
 Regulations provided in article 4 of title 24, C.R.S.
(1) The secretary of state shall adopt rules consistent with section 1-7-1003 and in accordance with article 4 of title 24, C.R.S., on the conduct of elections using ranked voting methods. The rules shall prescribe the methods and procedures for tabulating, auditing, and reporting results in an election using a ranked voting method.
(2) The secretary of state shall provide guidance and advice to the governing bodies and designated election officials of local governments of the state on the conduct of elections using ranked voting methods.
Source: L. 2008: Entire part added, p. 1252, § 2, effective August 5.
- Ballot Access
- Ballot Form & Content Requirements
- Election Day
- Regulation & Duties of Election Officials
1. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
3. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
4. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.