1-8.5-104. Voting procedure – provisional ballot
(1) An elector casting a provisional ballot shall complete and sign the provisional ballot affidavit and cast the ballot.
(2) The fact that an elector casts a provisional ballot shall be indicated on the signature card or pollbook next to the elector’s name.
(3) The election judge shall examine the provisional ballot affidavit. If the election judge notices that the elector did not sign the affidavit, the election judge shall inform the elector that the provisional ballot will not be counted if the affidavit is not signed.
(4) If an elector who is casting a provisional ballot does not show identification as required by section 1-7-110 (2), the election official shall indicate on a space provided on the provisional ballot envelope that the elector did not show identification.
(5) If paper provisional ballots and envelopes are used in an election, the provisional ballot envelope containing the marked provisional ballot shall be deposited in a ballot container. All paper provisional ballots cast shall remain sealed in their envelopes for return to the county clerk and recorder or designated election official.
(6) After an elector casts a provisional ballot, the election official shall give the elector a written notice that an elector who casts a provisional ballot has the right to know whether the vote was counted and the reason if the provisional ballot was not counted. The notice shall specify the toll-free telephone number, internet web site, or other free access system established by the secretary of state or the designated election official by means of which the elector may receive this information about the elector’s provisional ballot.
Source: L. 2005: Entire article added, p. 1416, § 39, effective June 6; entire article added, p. 1451, § 39, effective June 6.L. 2006: (1) and (5) amended, p. 2033, § 17, effective June 6.
- Ballot Form & Content Requirements
- Election Day
- Provisional Voting
- Registration Lists
- Regulation & Duties of Election Officials
- Regulation of Polling Places
- Voter Registration
1. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
3. Definition for Ballot
(a) A federal write-in absentee ballot;
(b) A ballot specifically prepared or distributed for use by a covered voter in accordance with this article; or
(c) A ballot cast by a covered voter in accordance with this article.
(2) “Covered voter” means:
(a) A uniformed-service voter defined in paragraph (a) of subsection (9) of this section who is a resident of this state but who is absent from this state by reason of active duty and who otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(b) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, was last eligible to vote in this state and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(c) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, would have been last eligible to vote in this state had the voter then been of voting age and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements; or
(d) An overseas voter who was born outside the United States, is not described in paragraph (b) or (c) of this subsection (2), and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements if the last place where a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or civil union partner of the voter was, or under this article would have been, eligible to vote before leaving the United States is within this state.
C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
4. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
5. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.