1-8.5-110. Handling of provisional ballots – reporting of results
(1) Provisional ballots shall be kept separate from all other ballots and counted separately.
(2) If twenty-five or more provisional ballots are cast and counted in a county, the designated election official shall report the results of voting by provisional ballot as a separate total. If fewer than twenty-five provisional ballots are cast and counted, the results of voting by provisional ballot shall be included in the results of regular voting.
(3) Votes cast by provisional ballot shall not be included in any unofficial results reported and shall be reported only as part of the official canvass.
(4) The designated election official shall keep a log of each provisional ballot cast, each provisional ballot counted, and each provisional ballot rejected. The code for the acceptance or rejection of the provisional ballot as prescribed by the secretary of state shall be marked on the log. The designated election official shall keep all rejected provisional ballots in their unopened envelopes for no less than twenty-five months.
Source: L. 2005: Entire article added, p. 1418, § 39, effective June 6; entire article added, p. 1453, § 39, effective June 6.L. 2007: (2) amended, p. 1795, § 56, effective June 1.L. 2013: (2) amended, (HB 13-1303), ch. 185, p. 745, § 110, effective May 10.
Cross references: In 2013, subsection (2) was amended by the “Voter Access and Modernized Elections Act”. For the short title and the legislative declaration, see sections 1 and 2 of chapter 185, Session Laws of Colorado 2013.
1. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
3. Definition for Ballot
(a) A federal write-in absentee ballot;
(b) A ballot specifically prepared or distributed for use by a covered voter in accordance with this article; or
(c) A ballot cast by a covered voter in accordance with this article.
(2) “Covered voter” means:
(a) A uniformed-service voter defined in paragraph (a) of subsection (9) of this section who is a resident of this state but who is absent from this state by reason of active duty and who otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(b) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, was last eligible to vote in this state and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(c) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, would have been last eligible to vote in this state had the voter then been of voting age and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements; or
(d) An overseas voter who was born outside the United States, is not described in paragraph (b) or (c) of this subsection (2), and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements if the last place where a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or civil union partner of the voter was, or under this article would have been, eligible to vote before leaving the United States is within this state.
C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
4. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
5. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.