(1) “Automatic tabulating equipment” includes apparatus necessary to automatically examine, count, and record votes.
(2) “Ballot” means the card, tape, or other vehicle upon which the elector’s choices are recorded.
(3) “Ballot information” means the material containing the names of offices and candidates and the questions to be voted on.
(4) “Electronic or electromechanical voting system” means a system of casting votes by use of voting devices or marking devices and counting ballots by employing automatic tabulating equipment or data processing equipment, and the term includes touchscreen systems.
(5) “Marking device” means any approved device for marking a ballot with ink or other substance which will enable the ballot to be tabulated by means of automatic tabulating equipment.
(6) “Secrecy envelope” means an opaque device, used for enclosing a marked ballot, which conceals the voter’s choices.
(7) “Software” means the programs and routines used to employ and control the capabilities of data processing hardware, including, without limitation, operating systems, compilers, assemblers, utilities, library routines, maintenance routines, applications, and computer networking programs.
(8) “Voting device” means an apparatus by which votes are registered electronically.
s. 3, ch. 73-156; s. 21, ch. 77-175; s. 8, ch. 84-302; s. 8, ch. 89-348; s. 15, ch. 2001-40.
1. Definition for Voting System
Definition [Voting System]
A method of casting and processing votes that functions wholly or partly by use of electromechanical or electronic apparatus or by use of marksense ballots and includes, but is not limited to, the procedures for casting and processing votes and the programs, operating manuals, supplies, printouts, and other software necessary for the system’s operation.
2. Definition for Voting Device
Definition [Voting Device]
As used in the Electronic Voting Systems Act, voting device means an apparatus by which votes are registered electronically.
3. Definition for Marking Device
Definition [Marking Device]
As used in the Electronic Voting Systems Act, marking device means any approved device for marking a ballot with ink or other substance which will enable the ballot to be tabulated by means of automatic tabulating equipment.
5. Definition for Elector
“Elector” is synonymous with the word “voter” or “qualified elector or voter,” except where the word is used to describe presidential electors.
6. Definition for Candidate
Any person to whom any one or more of the following applies:
(a) Any person who seeks to qualify for nomination or election by means of the petitioning process.
(b) Any person who seeks to qualify for election as a write-in candidate.
(c) Any person who receives contributions or makes expenditures, or gives his or her consent for any other person to receive contributions or make expenditures, with a view to bringing about his or her nomination or election to, or retention in, public office.
(d) Any person who appoints a treasurer and designates a primary depository.
(e) Any person who files qualification papers and subscribes to a candidate’s oath as required by law.
This definition does not include any candidate for a political party executive committee.