§ 101.5608 Voting by electronic or electromechanical method; procedures.
Overview of Statute
(1) Each elector desiring to vote shall be identified to the clerk or inspector of the election as a duly qualified elector of such election and shall sign his or her name on the precinct register or other form or device provided by the supervisor. The inspector shall compare the signature with the signature on the identification provided by the elector. If the inspector is reasonably sure that the person is entitled to vote, the inspector shall provide the person with a ballot.
(2) When an electronic or electromechanical voting system utilizes a ballot card or marksense ballot, the following procedures shall be followed:
s. 8, ch. 73-156; s. 21, ch. 77-175; s. 13, ch. 81-105; s. 5, ch. 82-143; s. 12, ch. 84-302; s. 579, ch. 95-147; s. 20, ch. 2001-40; s. 11, ch. 2002-17; s. 36, ch. 2005-277; s. 35, ch. 2005-278; s. 20, ch. 2008-95.
1. Definition for Department
The Department of State. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(7).
2. Definition for Supervisor
The supervisor of elections. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(36).
3. Definition for Polling Place
The building which contains the polling room where ballots are cast. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(27).
4. Definition for Voting System
5. Definition for Secrecy Envelope
As used in the Electronic Voting Systems Act, secrecy envelope means an opaque device, used for enclosing a marked ballot, which conceals the voter’s choices.
6. Definition for Ballot
As used in the Electronic Voting Systems Act, ballot means the card, tape, or other vehicle upon which the elector’s choices are recorded. Fla. Stat. § 101.5603(2).
7. Definition for Person
An individual or a corporation, association, firm, partnership, joint venture, joint stock company, club, organization, estate, trust, business trust, syndicate, or other combination of individuals having collective capacity. The term includes a political party, affiliated party committee, or political committee. Fla. Stat. § 106.011(14).
8. Definition for Elector
“Elector” is synonymous with the word “voter” or “qualified elector or voter,” except where the word is used to describe presidential electors. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(15).
9. Definition for Division
The Division of Elections of the Department of State. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(8).
10. Definition for Election
Any primary election, special primary election, special election, general election, or presidential preference primary election. Fla. Stat. § 97.021(12).
11. Definition for Candidate
Any person to whom any one or more of the following applies:
Regulations & Guidance
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 138, Ballot boxes
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 150, Identification required at polls
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 157, Secrecy in voting
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 158, Marking ballots
Fla. Jur. 2d Elections s 159, Spoiled ballots