1-13.5-703. Sample ballots, ballot labels, and instruction cards
(1) Sample ballots must be produced for display at polling places in which voting machines are used and are subject to public inspection. The sample ballots must be arranged in the form of a diagram showing the front of the voting machine as it will appear after the official ballot labels are arranged on the voting machine for voting. The designated election official shall provide sample ballots for each polling place. The sample ballots must be delivered to the election judges and posted in the polling place for display on election day.
(2) The designated election official or his or her designee shall also prepare and place on each voting machine to be used in the polling place a set of official ballot labels arranged in the manner prescribed for the official election ballot to be used on voting machines. The designated election official shall deliver the required number of voting machines, equipped with the official ballot, to each polling place no later than the day prior to the day of election.
(3) Instruction cards to guide eligible electors in casting their ballots on voting machines must be supplied by the designated election official as provided in section 1-13.5-906.
Source: L. 2014: Entire article added, (HB 14-1164), ch. 2, p. 30, § 6, effective February 18.
1. Definition for Election day
The date either established by law or determined by the governing body of the political subdivision conducting the election, to be the final day on which all ballots are determined to be due, and the date from which all other dates in this article are set.C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
2. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
3. Definition for Ballot
(a) A federal write-in absentee ballot;
(b) A ballot specifically prepared or distributed for use by a covered voter in accordance with this article; or
(c) A ballot cast by a covered voter in accordance with this article.
(2) “Covered voter” means:
(a) A uniformed-service voter defined in paragraph (a) of subsection (9) of this section who is a resident of this state but who is absent from this state by reason of active duty and who otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(b) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, was last eligible to vote in this state and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements;
(c) An overseas voter who, before leaving the United States, would have been last eligible to vote in this state had the voter then been of voting age and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements; or
(d) An overseas voter who was born outside the United States, is not described in paragraph (b) or (c) of this subsection (2), and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state’s voter eligibility requirements if the last place where a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or civil union partner of the voter was, or under this article would have been, eligible to vote before leaving the United States is within this state.
C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
4. Definition for Section
A bound compilation of initiative forms approved by the secretary of state, which shall include pages that contain the warning required by section 1-40-110 (1), the ballot title, the abstract required by section 1-40-110 (3), and a copy of the proposed measure; succeeding pages that contain the warning, the ballot title, and ruled lines numbered consecutively for registered electors’ signatures; and a final page that contains the affidavit required by section 1-40-111 (2). Each section shall be consecutively prenumbered by the petitioner prior to circulation.
5. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.