1-5-613. Purchase and sale of voting equipment
(1) The secretary of state shall adopt uniform rules in accordance with article 4 of title 24, C.R.S., for the purchase and sale of voting equipment in the state.
(2) On and after May 28, 2004, the governing body or designated election official of a political subdivision may purchase a voting system only if the voting system has been certified for use in this state by the secretary of state in accordance with this part 6.
(3) The governing body or designated election official of a political subdivision shall notify the secretary of state before purchasing or selling voting equipment. The secretary of state shall attempt to coordinate the sale of excess or outmoded equipment by one political subdivision with purchases of necessary equipment by other political subdivisions.
(4) The secretary of state shall provide information at the request of the governing bodies of the various political subdivisions of the state on the availability and sources of new and used voting equipment.
Source: L. 2004: Entire section added, p. 1347, § 14, effective May 28.
Cross references: For the legislative declaration contained in the 2004 act enacting this section, see section 1 of chapter 334, Session Laws of Colorado 2004.
“Voting system” as defined in section 1-1-104(50.8), C.R.S., means:
(a) The total combination of mechanical, electromechanical, or electronic equipment (including the software, firmware, and documentation required to program, control, and support the equipment) that is used to:
(2) Cast and count votes;
(3) Report or display election results; and
(4) Maintain and produce any audit trail information.
(b) The practices and associated documentation used to:
(1) Identify system components and versions of such components;
(2) Test the system during its development and maintenance;
(3) Maintain records of system errors and defects;
(4)Determine specific system changes to be made to a system after the initial qualification of the system; and
(5) Make available any materials to the voter (such as notices, instructions, forms, or paper ballots).
(c) “Voting system” does not include any other component of election administration, such as voter registration applications or systems, electronic pollbooks, ballot delivery and retrieval systems, signature verification and envelope sorting devices, ballot on demand printers, election night reporting and other election reporting systems, and other components used throughout the election process that do not capture and tabulate votes.
1. Definition for Political subdivision
A governing subdivision of the state, including counties, municipalities, school districts, and special districts. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
2. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
3. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
4. Definition for Title
A brief statement that fairly and accurately represents the true intent and meaning of the proposed text of the initiative.
5. Definition for Section
A bound compilation of initiative forms approved by the secretary of state, which shall include pages that contain the warning required by section 1-40-110 (1), the ballot title, the abstract required by section 1-40-110 (3), and a copy of the proposed measure; succeeding pages that contain the warning, the ballot title, and ruled lines numbered consecutively for registered electors’ signatures; and a final page that contains the affidavit required by section 1-40-111 (2). Each section shall be consecutively prenumbered by the petitioner prior to circulation.
6. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
7. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.
Regulations & Guidance
Voting Equipment Inventory Archive https://perma.cc/US2H-7GXL