1-7-513. Voting equipment – records
Overview of Statute
Designated election officials must maintain records for each component of a voting system that includes, in part, specific details about the hardware and software being used, the date of acquisition, and a detailed explanation of any services or system repairs.
(1) The designated election official shall maintain separate, detailed records for each component of a voting system used in an election. Such records shall include, but not be limited to, the manufacturer, make, model, serial number, hardware, firmware, software version or release number, date of acquisition, description of services, repairs, maintenance, upkeep, and version upgrades, and date of performance of such services.
(2) The secretary of state shall promulgate rules in accordance with article 4 of title 24, C.R.S., prescribing the manner of maintenance of records required by this section.
Source: L. 2005: Entire section added, p. 1409, § 27, effective June 6; entire section added, p. 1444, § 27, effective June 6.
- Audits of Voting Technology
- Election Day
- Regulation & Duties of Election Officials
- Voting Technology
The rules define “firmware” as computer programs stored on read-only memory devices or other electronic circuitry in voting devices that control the basic operation and function of those devices.
1. Definition for Designated election official
The secretary of state, a county clerk and recorder, or other election official as provided by article XXI of the state constitution. C.R.S. § 1-12-100.5.
2. Definition for State
A state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. C.R.S. § 1-8.3-102.
3. Definition for Title
A brief statement that fairly and accurately represents the true intent and meaning of the proposed text of the initiative.
4. Definition for Section
A bound compilation of initiative forms approved by the secretary of state, which shall include pages that contain the warning required by section 1-40-110 (1), the ballot title, the abstract required by section 1-40-110 (3), and a copy of the proposed measure; succeeding pages that contain the warning, the ballot title, and ruled lines numbered consecutively for registered electors’ signatures; and a final page that contains the affidavit required by section 1-40-111 (2). Each section shall be consecutively prenumbered by the petitioner prior to circulation.
5. Definition for Election
Any election under the “Uniform Election Code of 1992” or the “Colorado Municipal Election Code of 1965”, article 10 of title 31, C.R.S. C.R.S. § 1-7.5-103.
6. Definition for Secretary
The Colorado secretary of state. C.R.S. § 1-1.5-102.